So I made the most amazing Shepherd’s Pie last night. I’ve been wanting to try it for awhile now but never got around to it/never found a recipe that I liked. So I combined two and came out with something so amazingly delicious (that’s right, I went there, it’s THAT good) that I thought I should post my recipe perhaps.
Annalee’s Super Fabulous Sheperds Pie!
– 2 large baking potatoes (I think they’re called Russets in some circles)
– two tablespoons butter
– dash of milk
– pound of ground beef
– half an onion, chopped
– three cloves of garlic (or more or less, whatever you like!)
– two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
– 3/4 can of beef broth
– two tablespoons flour
– about three or more tablespoons of ketchup
– 1 cup cheddar cheese
– salt and pepper (I didn’t have pepper, but it was good without)
– frozen peas, corn, carrots and green beans (I had a mixed frozen veggie thing going on, very yummy)
I believe that’s it.
1. Peel and boil your potatoes (If you need help boiling potatoes, I would recommend not continuing with this recipe, and go take some cooking classes).
2. In a large frying pan, brown your ground beef with the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until well browned. Your potatoes should be finished by the time the beef is. Drain, and mash them, adding the butter, a splash of milk and about half the cheese. Set aside.
3. Add the Worcestershire sauce (all the while trying to pronounce Worcestershire), beef broth, ketchup and flour. I kind of added the ketchup to taste, but about two to three tablespoons should do. Sprinkle the salt and pepper on too. Allow these to simmer for several minutes until the mix starts to thicken a bit.
4. Add frozen veggies, and cook until they are hot.
5. This is usually the point when I’m cooking that I remember to preheat the oven. Do that now, to about 375.
6. Once the veggies are hot, layer the bottom of a casserole dish with the beef mixture. Adding the potatoes on top can be a bit of a pain because the potatoes are thick. Add dollops all over and spread out with a fork. Then sprinkle the top with cheese.
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes uncovered. About five minutes before you take it out, set your stove to broil and cook until the top is crispy and golden.
8. Consume. It will be seriously hot at this point, so be careful.